Join us to celebrate the launch of Graduate Professional Skills (GPS), York University’s guide to graduate student professional development. Engage with experts in making the most of your graduate degree, talk to former graduate students about their exciting careers, sample some of the many professional development workshops York has to offer, and celebrate with York’s graduate students, faculty, staff, and professional skills educators.
8:30-9:00: Registration (Curtis Lecture Hall B)
9:00-9:15: Opening Remarks: Dean and Associate Vice-President Academic of the Faculty of Graduate Studies, Barbara Crow (Curtis Lecture Hall B)
9:15-10:45: Round-Table Q&A: The Flexible Graduate Degree in Theory and Practice (Curtis Lecture Hall B)
- Jessica Langer, Jennifer Polk, Aimee Morrison
10:45-11:00: Break (Refreshments in 519 Kaneff & 280 York Lanes)
11:00-12:00: Breakout Sessions
- Transferring Graduate Skills Beyond Academia — Carolyn Steele, Career Centre (280N York Lanes)
- Writing a Winning Research Proposal — Melissa Dalgleish, FGS (280A York Lanes)
- Building a Knowledge Mobilization Strategy — Michael Johnny, Knowledge Mobilization (KMb) (519 Kaneff Tower)
12:00-1:15: Lunch (Refreshments at 519 Kaneff & 242 York Lanes)
Join us for lunch and get to know our panelists, workshop facilitators, and some of your fellow graduate students. Please indicate any dietary requirements when you RSVP.
1:15-2:30: Round-Table Q&A: Academia and Beyond (Vanier 135)
- Sonia Strimban, Craig Roxborough, Nana Lee
2:30-2:45: Break (Refreshments in 519 Kaneff & 280 York Lanes)
2:45-3:45: Breakout Sessions
- Creating an Effective Online Presence Using LinkedIn — Mayolyn Dagsi, Career Centre (280A York Lanes)
- Social Media and Research — Krista Jensen, Knowledge Mobilization (KMb) (280N York Lanes)
- Linking Graduate Research Skills to Business Strategy — David Cappadocia, York Graduate Management Consulting Association (GMCA) (519
3:45-4:00: Break (Please begin moving to the Schulich Executive Dining Room)
4:00-6:00: Reception for all attendees (Schulich Executive Dining Room)
- Aimee Morrison — Keynote
For more information, please contact Gary Myers.