York offers competitive funding to all qualified graduate students and is committed to promoting excellence in research and teaching. Training opportunities and funding are provided through research assistantships in the student’s field of study, teaching assistantships with relevant undergraduate programs and/or graduate assistantships with faculty members or research units.
Graduate students who maintain active registration, in full-time status, are eligible to receive work opportunities. Sources for this funding are provided from, but not limited to, teaching assistantships, graduate assistantships, research assistantships, as well as York Graduate Scholarships for our top-ranked students.
Full-time students are eligible to receive, or apply to, the following bursaries and support for further financial assistance.
The generosity of our alumni and of corporations, foundations, and other supporters of York University has helped to establish graduate student award and support programs valued at more than $15 million annually. Recipients of these awards, who may be incoming or continuing students, are nominated by their graduate programs and selected by a program or FGS committee. New awards will be added regularly.
The Province of Ontario generously supports the research, leadership, and academic achievement of students from Canada and abroad pursuing graduate education in Ontario. It does so through a number of competitive and prestigious scholarship programs that are administered by Ontario universities and by the Council of Ontario Universities (COU).
The Government of Canada’s research agencies and funded partners—the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), and Mitacs—promote innovation in research and reward academic excellence by offering a number of valuable and prestigious scholarships and awards. National foundations, created to honour the legacy of great Canadians, also offer major scholarship and fellowship programs which aim to support and enhance the research, innovation, and leadership of top emerging scholars from around the world who have chosen to pursue their graduate studies in Canada.
- Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’s (CGSM)
- SSHRC Fellowships and CGS Doctoral Awards (DF/CGSD)
- CIHR Doctoral Foreign Study Awards and CGS Doctoral Awards (DFSA/CGSD)
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships and CGS Doctoral Awards (PGSD/CGSD)
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (VCGS)
- SSHRC Impact Talent Award
- Michael Smith CGS Foreign Study Supplements (CGSFSS)
- Trudeau Doctoral Scholarships
- Governor General’s Gold Medals
- W.L. Mackenzie King Memorial Scholarships
- Mitacs Awards
- Robert Bertram Doctoral Research Award
International students can access a variety of eligible funding and award opportunities, ranging from government competitions to donor-funded awards specific to York.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarships
- Ontario Trillium Scholarships
- Trudeau Scholarships
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Anne Simone Graduate Student International Conference Award
- Armand and Denise LaBarge Graduate Scholarship in Multiculturalism
- Elia Scholars Program
- Graduate Fellowship for Academic Distinction (GFAD)
- Howard Daugherty International Graduate Award in Neotropical Conservation
- Joyce and Fred Zemans Scholarship
- Kent Haworth Archival Research Fellowship
- Manulife Financial International Graduate Scholarship at Norman Bethune College
- Provost Dissertation Scholarship
- Sherrill Cheda Graduate Scholarship
- Susan Mann Dissertation Scholarship
- The Sammy Graduate Scholarship in Autism Research
The Faculty of Graduate Studies (FGS) and York Research are providing opportunities and funding for paid internships for graduate students with a variety of community partners.
Students are required to submit original, official transcripts as part of the application requirements for many scholarships, awards, and fellowships, including the Tri-Council scholarships and fellowships (SSHRC, NSERC, CIHR) and the Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS).
Students are encouraged to familiarize themselves with all application requirements and order transcripts well in advance of scholarship deadlines. To request transcripts, please visit Registrar's Office - Transcripts.