The John Arpin Award shall be awarded annually to a graduate student entering a Masters or PhD program in music. Recipients must demonstrate outstanding academic merit and be studying in the area of performance, performance studies and/or composition. If there is no eligible applicant who meets the desired criteria consideration for this award it may also be extended to students in other fine arts performance disciplines when students demonstrate exceptional talent and academic merit.
Value and Duration
- One award up to $12,500
- The value and number of award(s) in any given year will depend on the rate of distribution from the endowment fund and the number of recipients selected
- Full–time registered Master’s or doctoral York graduate student;
- Must be an incoming student;
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents and/or protected persons who are residents of Ontario;
- Selection criteria includes:
- Research focus in performance, performance studies and/or composition;
- Outstanding top academic achievement;
- Financial need.
Note: The student must be registered full-time for the upcoming academic year (Fall/Winter).
Award Period (when the award will be paid)
- Upcoming academic year
- Graduate program deadline: Program nomination, with complete documentation, is due to FGS by April 27. The Faculty of Graduate Studies Awards Committee will review nominees for eligibility.
How to Apply
- Students must be nominated by their graduate program
Graduate Program Responsibility
- The admissions committee in the Graduate Program in Music is encouraged to review all admission applications to the program to identify eligible students for nomination
- Encouraged to use this significant award to help persuade top applicants in ecology within the Graduate Program of Music to accept an offer of admission from York University
- Program will identify potential nominees and request the appropriate documentation
- Meet prior to April 1 to identify the nominee for the following academic year
- Nominate a maximum of two files to FGS in rank order
- Statement of research
- Transcripts, unofficial or official, (supplied by graduate program from admissions file), or can be a student copy downloaded from the student account. Must include the last two years or all years of graduate studies
- Student Financial Profile (.pdf)
- Letter of nomination (supplied by graduate program director)
- Please contact the Graduate Program in Music: http://music.gradstudies.yorku.ca/contact-us/