Nirvan Bhavan is a non-profit, charitable organization established in the late 1970s. One of its aims is to increase awareness and appreciation of the arts, society, and culture of India in the Metro Toronto area. Since the organization was formed, it has also strived to raise sufficient funds to establish a cultural centre for people of East Indian origin in the local community.
The Nirvan Bhavan Graduate Fellowship has been established to provide financial assistance to graduate students completing research in India studies.
Value and Duration
- One award up to $6,835 (Subject to change)
- Full-time registered York University graduate student
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents and/or protected persons who are residents of Ontario
- Applicant must be completing research on the arts, society, and/or culture of India
- Confirmation of financial need
- An outstanding academic record (minimum GPA of an A- in the last two years of full-time studies)
- FGS suggests that students provide all required documents to their program office by February 17.
- Graduate programs must then submit their nominations (one PDF file per nomination, saved to the Graduate Studies drive) to the Office of the Dean, Graduate Studies by March 2. If the Graduate Program is nominating more than one student, nominations must be ranked.
How to Apply
- Students must submit the following to their graduate program office
- Award Application Form (.pdf)
- A one-page statement outlining their research project and how they meet the requirements for this award
- Current official or unofficial transcripts (i.e. from YDM-L or photocopy from other scholarship file). Official transcripts can be requested from Registrar’s Office – Transcripts.
- Student Financial Profile (.pdf)
- Two letters of reference
- Graduate Student Funding Liaison Officer
230 York Lanes
Office of the Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies
(416) 736-2100 ext. 70203
- Graduate Program Office