The Anne Simone Graduate Student International Conference Award will be given annually to one student enrolled full time in a graduate program in the Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies who is attending an international conference to present his/her research.
Anne Simone was a long-term employee at York University. She worked for years at York's Schulich School of Business and for many years has served as the administrative assistant for the Dean in the Faculty of Arts working closely with George Fallis, Bob Drummond and more recently in the Faculty of Liberal Arts and Professional Studies as the administrative assistant to the Associate Dean, Faculty. She cared deeply about York University and went above and beyond for graduate students by helping them to negotiate university administration.
Value and Duration
- One award of $1,000
- Full-time Master's or doctoral student;
- Domestic and international students are both eligible for this scholarship;
- Selection criteria includes:
- student's progress in their program
- evaluation of how a presentation will enhance their professional development or provide exposure for their work among peers
- the number of other conferences the student has presented at
Graduate Program Responsibility
- Programs will identify potential nominees and request the appropriate documentation
- Note: students cannot apply directly to FGS. They must be nominated by their supervisor, commitee, or Graduate Program
- No maximum number of nominations per program
- a short narrative (not more than 500 words) on how the conference will forward the student's research and scholarship
- conference abstract and acceptance of abstract (conference title, date, location)
- projected travel budget
- two letters of reference, one from the nominating faculty member (i.e. supervisor, committee member, or graduate program director) and one from another faculty member
- a current curriculum vitae
- Program nomination, with complete documentation, is due to Scholarship Coordinator in FGS by March 2. The Faculty of Graduate Studies Awards Committee will adjudicate this award.
How to Apply
- Students must be nominated by their supervisor or graduate program