Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS) and QEII Graduate Scholarships in Science and Technology (QEIIGSST)


Since 1975, Ontario, in partnership with Ontario’s publicly–assisted universities, has encouraged excellence in graduate studies at the masters and doctoral levels through the awarding of Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS). OGS awards are merit–based scholarships available to students in all disciplines of academic study. The OGS program is jointly funded by the Province of Ontario and Ontario universities. The Province of Ontario contributes two-thirds of the value of the award and the university provides one-third.

Value and Duration

  • $15,000 per year for a one year maximum


  • Be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or Protected Person [under subsection 95(2) of the Immigration and Refugee Protections Act (Canada)] at the time of the OGS application deadline date
  • Or be a foreign student who is studying in Ontario under a temporary resident visa–student study permit, under the immigration and refugee protection act
  • Be enrolled in an eligible postsecondary institution in Ontario (one offering graduate programs)
  • Be taking an eligible program on a full time basis. An eligible program is defined as a full–time program of study of two or three terms at an eligible institution leading to a graduate degree. Eligible programs must be approved as eligible for funding by MTCU
  • Have a minimum GPA of (A-)
  • PhD students in their 4th year of study (or beyond) in Fall 2017 are ineligible to apply for OGS in 2018–19 Must be in 3rd year or less as of December 2017, to be eligible.


  • The 2018-2019 OGS competition process will be combined with the Tri-Council competitions. For details, please review the OGS-QEII Guide (.pdf)

How to Apply

Please submit a complete application package to your proposed program of study. A complete package includes the following:

* Students submitting an application for one of the Tri-Council awards (CIHR Doctoral, NSERC Doctoral, SSHRC Doctoral, and CGS-Masters) through York University will only need to fill out Part A of the OGS application form. Once Part A is submitted, applications will be automatically considered for an OGS award based on the content of the SSRHC, NSERC, CIHR, and CGS-M application. No separate OGS application, transcripts and assessment forms are needed in addition to the Tri-Council award application.

* While the OGS-QEII guide and application forms are available in English only, students may submit an  application in either English or French. Applications will be reviewed and adjudicated by the appropriate committees according to the language selected.


Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Where should the applications be submitted?
  • Students must submit their OGS applications to their graduate program.
  1. Do students need a separate set of transcripts and assessment forms for OGS if they are submitting a Tri-Council application?
  • Students applying for one of the Tri-Council applications will not need separate transcripts and assessment letters. They should complete their Tri-Council application, and attach Part A of the OGS application form in order to be considered for an OGS.
  1. Can scanned copies of transcript be used?
  • Yes, for OGS applications as well as for online-based applications (CGS Masters, NSERC doctoral and CIHR doctoral), provided that they are official and up-to-date. For SSHRC Doctoral applications, hard copy original transcripts are required.
  1. Can references be sent by fax or email?
  • Please confirm with your graduate program if OGS reference letters can be sent by fax or email.
  1. Can an incoming student submit an OGS application to multiple programs?
  • Since the OGS adjudication process will involve a central adjudication process, an incoming student does not need to submit an OGS application to each program to which they apply for admission. In other words, a student who is successfully awarded an OGS at the central adjudication process can hold the OGS in any program at York. However, the student may submit an application to multiple programs to be considered for program specific OGS allocations. If the student wishes to do so, they have to submit a separate set of transcripts and reference forms as well as their OGS application form to each program.
  1. Where do current MA students applying to multiple PhD programs submit their SSHRC/OGS applications?
  • The students should submit their SSHRC/OGS doctoral application to their current MA program.
  1. Will SSHRC accept reference letters that are scanned or photocopied?
  • SSHRC recommends hard copy reference forms with original signatures but also accepts scanned reference forms with inked signatures (i.e. not digitally signed) that are submitted directly to the program by email.
  1. Do students have to submit York transcripts without grades?
  • If the student is applying to any of the Tri-Council scholarships, then they must order an official York transcript as they need to provide proof of Fall term registration. If they are only applying to OGS, then they don't need to provide the York in-progress transcript.


  • Research Officer
    230 York Lanes
    Office of the Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies
    (416)736-2100 ext. 44168
  • Scholarship Coordinator
    230 York Lanes
    Office of the Dean, Faculty of Graduate Studies
    (416)736-2100 ext. 33954

Last updated August 23, 2016.