Up to 15 Trudeau Scholarships are awarded each year nationally to support outstanding doctoral candidates pursuing research of compelling present-day concern, touching upon one or more of the four themes of the Foundation: (1) human rights and dignity; (2) responsible citizenship; (3) Canada in the world; and (4) people and their natural environment. Trudeau Scholars are highly gifted individuals who are actively engaged in their fields and expected to become leading national and international figures.
Value and Duration
- $40,000 per year up to three years plus a travel allowance
Applications for the 18-19 competition are no longer accepted. Next year's circle will start in May 2018.
How to Apply
Please note that the preliminary application deadline has passed. Applications are no longer accepted.
- A Research proposal (maximum two pages);
- A Personal leadership statement (maximum two pages), outlining your study objectives and career goals, challenges and opportunities that have shaped your doctoral research, as well as accomplishments that demonstrate your leadership ability and skills. If you are applying for the Trudeau Scholarship, please also describe how your research relates to one of the foundation’s four founding themes;
- A description of research contributions you have made in previous research work, your role and impact (maximum one page);
- An up-to-date CV;
- Transcripts of all your post-secondary studies (unofficial transcripts and a copy of your student records are acceptable at this stage)
Please note only one application should be submitted at the preliminary stage for both Vanier and Trudeau scholarships.
Please see the Award Guide (.pdf) for details and other important dates.