The Vanier CGS program aims to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by supporting students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, engineering, and health.
In an effort to support students in broadening their research horizons and seeking new challenges, the Vanier CGS program strongly encourages candidates to pursue their studies beyond the university that granted their undergraduate and graduate degrees.
For more information about the Vanier CGS, please visit the program website.
Value and Duration
- $50,000 per year up to three years
- Canadian or International students are eligible;
- be seeking financial support to pursue your first doctoral degree;
- have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2019;
- have achieved a first–class average, as determined by your university, in each of the last two years of full–time study or equivalent; and
- not have already received a doctoral–level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, SSHRC or NSERC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
- Preliminary applications for the 2019-2020 competition are accepted until Monday, June 25 at 4:00pm
How to Apply
In order to be considered for a nomination, please submit the following preliminary documents here.
- A Research proposal (maximum two pages);
- A Personal leadership statement (maximum two pages), outlining your study objectives and career goals, challenges and opportunities that have shaped your doctoral research, as well as accomplishments that demonstrate your leadership ability and skills. If you are applying for the Trudeau Scholarship, please also describe how your research relates to one of the foundation’s four founding themes;
- A description of research contributions you have made in previous research work, your role and impact (maximum one page);
- An up-to-date CV;
- Transcripts of all your post-secondary studies (unofficial transcripts and a copy of your student records are acceptable at this stage.
Please see the Award Guide (.pdf) for details and other important dates.