The Vanier CGS program aims to attract and retain world-class doctoral students by supporting students who demonstrate both leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, engineering, and health.
In an effort to support students in broadening their research horizons and seeking new challenges, the Vanier CGS program strongly encourages candidates to pursue their studies beyond the university that granted their undergraduate and graduate degrees.
For more information about the Vanier CGS, please visit the program website.
Value and Duration
- $50,000 per year up to three years
- Canadian or International students are eligible;
- be seeking financial support to pursue your first doctoral degree;
- have completed no more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2019;
- have achieved a first–class average, as determined by your university, in each of the last two years of full–time study or equivalent; and
- not have already received a doctoral–level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, SSHRC or NSERC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree (or combined MA/PhD or MD/PhD).
- The deadline to submit an application to be considered for the 2019-2020 competition is now closed.
Please see the Award Guide (.pdf) for details and other important dates.