- Submit complete petitions to home program office. Allow 4 to 6 weeks for processing.
- Include a statement with the academic rational for the request and attach any relevant documentation.
- Making false statements on this form is a breach on the Senate Policy on Academic Honesty.
- A petition will not normally be processed if the student is not in good academic or financial standing.
- Incomplete petitions will be cancelled after 30 days. Students will be notified if further action is required on their behalf.
- Decisions will be communicated via email to the provided address with copy to the program.
Full regulations applicable to each category of request are available on the FGS website: gradstudies.yorku.ca.
- Leave of Absence:The fee to be registered inactive is $169.49 plus $15.00 registration fee. This fee does not apply to No Course Available Leaves. A Leave of Absence will not be granted during an extension of program time limits. Terms for which a student is granted External Status will be counted as active terms towards the completion of the degree. Maternity leave of absence is available to students during or following a pregnancy. Parental leave of absence is available to students for whom parental responsibilities are such that they require the student to be absent from their studies. The maximum number of terms is dependent upon the type of Leave as per the table below:
Exceptional Circumstances Up to 3 terms (over the course of program) External Up to 3 terms (over the course of program) No Course Available One term at a time (no limits) Elective One term over the course of a program Maternal Up to 3 terms per pregnancy Parental Up to 1 term per child
Please note that the approval of any leave will affect your funding for that term. Leaves requested for a term that has already started will be considered retroactive.
- Reinstatement: Students who have withdrawn in good standing may petition for reinstatement within three terms (12 months) following a withdrawal. After that time, students must normally apply for readmission rather than reinstatement. Reinstatement into a program does not guarantee funding will continue as outlined in your original funding offer.
- Reinstatement to Defend: Students who have withdrawn in good standing may petition for reinstatement to defend a thesis/dissertation at any time following their withdrawal, on the condition that the thesis/dissertation is ready to proceed to defence. Such petitions must include evidence and support from the supervisory committee and graduate program director, who must confirm that the thesis/dissertation is ready to proceed to defence.
- Extension of Program Time Limit:
- All petitions for extensions will be assumed to be for part-time status unless otherwise specified with the exception of requests related to the provisions of the CUPE 3903 Collective Agreement.
- Extension of program time limit request must always be accompanied by:
- A student statement with explanation of why timely progress was not made and progress made to date.
- A detailed plan with timeline for completing the remainder of the degree, including post-oral examination revisions, and
- A statement from the student’s supervisor commenting on the request and the plan.
- Extension of program time limit and/or priority pool entitlement requests may be made related to CUPE service (Unit 1 article 15.09.02 and 15.09.04; Unit 3 article 11.04.4) or disability/illness/injury (unit 1 articles 15.10 and 12.03.02; Unit 3 article 11.05).
- The request should be accompanied by evidence of service on CUPE executive or bargaining team as applicable, or medical certification as to the effect of the disability or disabilities, illness or injury upon the progress of the student’s work. Petitions based on disability/illness/injury are reviewed directly by the Dean of the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
- Advanced Standing: Advanced standing requests must be accompanied by copies of transcripts and course descriptions for the courses for which advanced standing is being sought along with either a listing of York courses that would be considered equivalent or a statement from the student’s supervisor or the graduate program director attesting to the equivalency of the courses with specific program requirements. Advanced Standing will only be considered prior to completion of the first term of study.