What is a Wellness Consultation?
Wellness consultations are short meetings that provide a starting point for students seeking to enhance their personal mental health or well-being. They are education and support-based and offered by a mental health professional. Meetings are confidential and typically last between 30-45 minutes.
Graduate students can request a wellness consultation for help with:
- Concerns about mental health;
- Balancing life as a graduate student;
- Personal wellness goal setting;
- Transitioning to graduate school;
- Difficulty coping with stress, anxiety, self-doubt, overwhelm or isolation;
- Staying healthy while progressing through one’s degree program;
- Exploring options for mental health and wellness services at York University or in the community;
- Psychoeducation and resources.
Information a student shares during a wellness consultation is confidential within legal limits. Please review our privacy statement (.pdf) for more information.
Booking a Wellness Consultation
- Online: View the appointment calendar and select an available date and time. You will receive a confirmation email once booking is complete. wellnessconsultation.gradstudies.yorku.ca
- Phone: Call the Manager, Graduate Student Wellness Services directly at 416-736-2100 ext. 33379
- Email: Send an email to the Manager, Graduate Student Wellness Services directly at email@example.com
The wellness consultation service is offered as a single session service. After the initial consultation, it may be determined on a case-by-case basis that additional meetings are required to meet the need of the student. This determination will be at the discretion of the Manager of Graduate Student Wellness Services. Wellness consultations are brief in nature and do not replace the need for ongoing personal counselling or other mental health related services.
Graduate students can continue to access counselling services through the Student Counselling & Development office (formerly Personal Counselling Services).
Student Counselling & Development
N110, Bennett Centre for Student Service
All registered part–time and full–time York University graduate students may access the wellness consultation service. Graduate students who are not currently registered active, but are on an approved leave from their studies, may also access the service.
Cancelling/Changing an Appointment
Whenever possible, please keep your appointment as scheduled. If you need to cancel or change your appointment, please notify the Manager, Graduate Student Wellness Services 24 hours in advance of your scheduled appointment. Students who miss multiple appointments, without adequate prior notification, may not be eligible for further services.
Manager, Graduate Student Wellness Services
T (416) 736-2100 Ext. 33379
In Case of Crisis or Need for Urgent Assistance:
- Call 911 if there is immediate risk or danger to yourself or others.
- On campus, contact Security Services at 416-736-5333 or ext. 33333 from a York campus phone. Available 24/7.
- You can go to the nearest hospital or visit your primary care physician.
- On campus, you can go to Student Counselling & Development (SCD) in person for crisis support during regular office hours. SCD is located at N110 Bennett Centre for Student Services.
- Call the Good2Talk confidential helpline for postsecondary students. Available 24/7 1-866-925-5454
- The Sexual Violence Response Office, located at W128 Bennett Centre for Student Services, is here to support you. They can be reached 24/7 at 416-736-5211