Postdoctoral Fellows are a vital part of York University’s research community and are critical to the achievement of York’s strategic priorities and the goal of research intensification. Postdoctoral Fellows demonstrate their status as emerging research leaders in their fields through the impact they have on and across York’s research centres and programs, and also on national and international academic communities.
Postdoctoral Fellows’ primary goals are to broaden their research experience and knowledge; expand on the expertise acquired during the doctoral research; and to benefit from collaboration with and mentorship from established researchers. Postdoctoral fellowships allow fellows to build their record of contributions and broaden interactions with research networks, initiatives and communities.
As an affiliate of a department, research centre or institute, Postdoctoral Fellows work under the general supervision of one or more York faculty members. Postdoctoral Fellows may also accept teaching assignments if appropriate teaching opportunities are available. These are arranged and approved by the department or hiring unit, usually prior to the fellowship’s start date.
- The procedures for seeking a position as a Postdoctoral Fellow at York University are described in our Procedures section.
- Current and prospective Postdoctoral Fellows interested in seeking funding opportunities should review the list of awards and fellowships listed in our Funding Opportunities section.
- York's Faculty of Graduate Studies provides a range of support and services for Postdoctoral Fellows, including:
- Assistance with developing and submitting applications for postdoctoral funding to be held at York University
- Advising on funding opportunities and career development issues;
- Assistance with orientation and connecting with organizations and resources at York;
- An annual orientation session and networking event for Postdoctoral Fellows;
- A monthly e-newsletter specifically for York Postdoctoral Fellows that lists information about funding opportunities and upcoming research and professional development events of particular interest to York Fellows (*If you do not receive this newsletter and would like to be added to the distribution list, please contact the Postdoctoral Services Coordinator.