This handbook is your guide to resources available to York postdocs through the Faculty of Graduate Studies and at York more broadly. Please review it for information about postdoctoral affairs at York, along with the content found on these webpages.
Email Set-Up for Postdoctoral Visitors (with employee number)
Postdoctoral Visitors (with an employee number) can set up their email and Passport York accounts "self-serve" using these instructions.
Professional Development Workshops
- The Faculty of Graduate Studies Graduate Professional Skills program offers graduate students and postdoctoral fellows skills development workshops and sessions designed based on input and feedback from the communities they serve. Please consult the Graduate Professional Skills website on a regular basis for workshops/sessions applicable to you.
- Professional development events and opportunities will also be listed in the monthly Postdoctoral Fellows edition of the FGSnews newsletter, which distributes information about funding, events, and opportunities of interest to our postdoctoral community. (If you do not receive this newsletter and would like to be added to the distribution list, please contact the Postdoctoral Services Coordinator.
- Postdoctoral Fellows are also encouraged to regularly check the Mitacs Step website for information about upcoming Mitacs Step Workshops. The Step program offers free workshops taught by professionals which are structured around cultivating and improving important professional skills.
- Resources and workshops related to teaching are listed on the website of York’s Teaching Commons.
- York University Libraries (YUL) hosts the Learning Commons, which offers regular academic support services and workshops.
- The Career Centre offers resources and workshops related to the job search and professional development.
Research Centres and Institutes at York
Research Centres and Institutes at York can be valuable nodes for connecting with research communities and activities focused on specific research areas. For a full list of centres and institutes at York, please visit: http://www.yorku.ca/research/about/centres.html
Links of Interest to York’s Postdoctoral Fellows
Canadian Association of Postdoctoral Scholars
A Canadian committee of postdoctoral scholars and representatives who meet regularly (and virtually) to discuss issues arising across the country relevant to postdocs. This website provides news, information and resources relevant to Canadian postdoc, and publishes job ads.
Canadian Association of Postdoctoral Administrators
A Canadian organization of administrators and staff who support and promote postdoctoral affairs at institutions, and an authoritative source for news, data and information related to postdoctoral issues in Canada.
National Postdoctoral Association
A U.S.-based, member-driven nonprofit organization that provides a national voice for postdoctoral scholars. The website provides some useful professionalization resources.
A comprehensive aggregator of jobs in higher education in Canada, including jobs in the professoriate and jobs outside of the professoriate at higher educational institutions.
York International, under the direction of the Associate Vice-President International, is available to assist all of York’s international visiting scholars with their transition to York, Toronto, and Canada.