Do you have York University students working with your organization, or, are you a York University student who is doing a placement, project, research or want to know more about community based practice in Jane and Finch?
You are invited to attend a unique training opportunity at the York-TD Community Engagement Centre throughout the 2015 Winter Term.
This orientation to working in Jane and Finch is delivered through an arts-based approach, and facilitated by community residents and organizers who are part of the "Connect the Dots" Coalition. Topics to be covered include:
- History of Jane-Finch and the historical relationship between Jane-Finch and York University
- Unpacking power, privilege, oppression (working from an anti-oppression framework)
- Racial profiling in the community
- De-bunking and challenging stereotypes and stigma attached to the community
- Unpacking messaging in the media about Jane-Finch
- Cultural sensitivity, and culturally relevant grounding and context
- What does it mean to be a good ally?
- Research vs. Extraction
- Best practices for establishing partnerships in the community
- Case studies of past successful and unsuccessful partnerships/projects
- Establishing support systems for doing the work
This training will take place over 6, 3-hour sessions throughout the Winter Term at the York University's Jane and Finch satellite campus, the York-TD Community Engagement Centre.This 18 hour training has the potential to be added as a co-curricular activity on your transcript, can be leveraged for course work, can contribute to your placement hours and adds to your portfolio for relevant professional development training.
Training will be conducted Tuesdays 5:30- 8:30 pm - Jan 13, Feb 3, 24, March 17, April 7, 28 2015
Space is limited.You must be available to participate in all sessions. Please enroll by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Area of study and Year:
- Why you are interested in this course:
- Contact information (email, phone number):
The deadline for Registration is Wednesday, January 7th.