The Province of Ontario generously supports the research, leadership, and academic achievement of students from Canada and abroad pursuing graduate education in Ontario. It does so through a number of competitive and prestigious scholarship programs that are administered by Ontario universities and by the Council of Ontario Universities (COU).
The Government of Canada’s research agencies and funded partners—the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), and Mitacs—promote innovation in research and reward academic excellence by offering a number of valuable and prestigious scholarships and awards. National foundations, created to honour the legacy of great Canadians, also offer major scholarship and fellowship programs which aim to support and enhance the research, innovation, and leadership of top emerging scholars from around the world who have chosen to pursue their graduate studies in Canada.
- Canada Graduate Scholarships – Master’s (CGSM)
- SSHRC Fellowships and CGS Doctoral Awards (DF/CGSD)
- CIHR Doctoral Foreign Study Awards and CGS Doctoral Awards (DFSA/CGSD)
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships and CGS Doctoral Awards (PGSD/CGSD)
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (VCGS)
- SSHRC Impact Talent Award
- Michael Smith CGS Foreign Study Supplements (CGSFSS)
- Governor General’s Gold Medals
- Trudeau Doctoral Scholarships
- W.L. Mackenzie King Memorial Scholarships
- Mitacs Awards
- Graduate Student Award of Merit — Senior Women Academic Administrators of Canada
- Student Award in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion—Senior Women Academic Administrators of Canada
The following is a list of external scholarship opportunities. Generally, students apply directly to the funding agencies.
- John W. Davies Memorial Award (Deadline: June 30) - The competition is open to full time graduate student at a recognized University in Canada or the US State of Alaska whose research will assist in providing solutions to problems encountered in the Arctic or in cold ocean environments.
- IODE War Memorial Scholarship (Deadline: October 1 for Letter of Intent, November 1 for Complete Application) – Awarded to Canadian doctoral students.
- Fulbright Canada Scholarship (Deadline: November 15) - This scholarship is open to graduate students who wish to conduct research in the United States.
- The International Council for Canadian Studies Scholarships (Deadline: November 24) – for graduate students in the thesis/dissertation stage of their program carrying out research in the field of Canadian Studies.
- The Frank Knox Memorial Fellowships (Deadline: November 25) – This award will be granted to Canadian graduate students wishing to study at Harvard University for one academic year.
- American Association of University Women International Fellowships (Deadline: December 1) – This award provides support for women pursuing full-time graduate or postdoctoral study in the United States who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Canadian North Studies Trust (Deadlines: mostly January 31)– a list of awards offered to graduate students pursuing research related to the Canadian North.
- J.H. Stewart Reid Memorial Fellowship Trust (Deadline: March 30) – Awarded to graduate students enrolled in a doctoral program at a Canadian University.
- Robert Bertram Doctoral Research Award (Deadline: May 17) - Awarded to graduate students who are pursuing research in Canadian corporate governance.
International students can access a variety of eligible funding and award opportunities, ranging from government competitions to donor-funded awards specific to York.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarships
- Trudeau Scholarships
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Study in Canada Scholarships
- Anne Simone Graduate Student International Conference Award
- Armand and Denise LaBarge Graduate Scholarship in Multiculturalism
- Barbara Crow Graduate Student Leadership Award
- Howard Daugherty International Graduate Award in Neotropical Conservation
- Joyce and Fred Zemans Scholarship
- Kent Haworth Archival Research Fellowship
- Manulife Graduate Scholarship
- Provost Dissertation Scholarship
- Sherrill Cheda Graduate Scholarship
- Susan Mann Dissertation Scholarship
- The Sammy Graduate Scholarship in Autism Research
- York University Retirees' Association Graduate Award (for extra-curricular activities and leadership)