The Sherrill Cheda Graduate Scholarship will be awarded to an incoming graduate student in the Women's Studies program who demonstrates academic excellence, demonstrates financial need and whose research addresses current issues facing women.
Value and Duration
- Up to 2 awards of up to $8,000
- The value and number of award(s) in any given year will depend on the rate of distribution from the endowment fund and the number of recipients selected
- Full-time registered Master's or doctoral York graduate student;
- Must be an incoming student;
- Both domestic and international students are eligible;
- Selection criteria includes:
- Research in current issues facing women;
- Academic accomplishments;
- Financial need;
- Demonstrated academic excellence.
Note: The student must be registered full-time for the upcoming academic year (Fall/Winter).
- Graduate program deadline: Program nomination, with complete documentation, is due to the Scholarship and Awards Coordinator in FGS by April 27. The Faculty of Graduate Studies Awards Committee will review nominees for eligibility.
Award Period (when the award will be paid)
- Upcoming academic year
How to Apply
- Students must be nominated by their graduate program
Graduate Program Responsibility
- The admissions committee in the Graduate Program of Gender, Feminist and Women’s Studies is encouraged to review all admission applications to the program to identify eligible students for nomination
- Encouraged to use this significant award to help persuade top applicants researching current issues facing women to accept an offer of admission from York University
- Programs will identify potential nominees and request the appropriate documentation
- Meet prior to April 1 to identify the nominee for the following academic year
- students cannot apply directly to FGS. They must be nominated by their Graduate Program
- Nominate a maximum of two files to FGS in rank order
- Statement of research
- Transcripts, unofficial or official, (supplied by graduate program from admissions file), or can be a student copy downloaded from the student account. Must include the last two years or all years of graduate studies
- Completed online Student Financial Profile. For incoming students, completed PDF version of Student Financial Profile (.pdf)
- Letter of nomination (supplied by graduate program director)
- Graduate Program Director
Graduate Program in Gender, Feminist and Women’s Studies
206G Founders College
Phone: 416-736-2100 Ext. 40104