John Lockwood (1913—1997) was a long time member and Honourary Chairman of the Canadian Council of Christians and Jews. This award honours his leadership in, and commitment to, breaking down the barriers of bigotry and discrimination. The award is given to students whose research is related to cultural diversity or cross-cultural understanding in Canada. Applicants must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents or protected persons, be Ontario residents*, and demonstrate financial need.
The Canadian Council of Christians and Jews is a non–religious organization dedicated to eliminating prejudice through education and bridging and to promoting respect, understanding and goodwill among all groups in Canada.
Value and Duration
- Up to one award of $3,750 (Subject to change)
- Full–time registered York Master’s or Doctoral students;
- Students must focus their studies on issues related to cultural diversity or cross-cultural understanding in Canada. Among other things, the student's research may focus on prejudice in Canadian society and/or proposals for its elimination;
- Academic excellence;
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have Protect Person status, and a resident of Ontario;
- Confirmation of financial need
- Student deadline: December 6
- Graduate program deadline (if applicable): December 21
Award Period (when the award will be paid)
- Winter Term
How to Apply
Students must submit the following through the Award Submission Portal:
- A completed Award Application form (.pdf).The applicant's statement section should outline how the student's research is aligned with the scope of the award.
- Official or unofficial transcripts. A copy of grades from the student account is acceptable. Must include the last two years or all years of graduate studies.
- And complete online Student Financial Profile
- After the Graduate Studies Awards Committee determines the recipient, the Office of the Dean, Graduate Studies will contact all applicants by e-mail and post the allocation to the successful applicant's student account