The Nestmann Scholarship will be awarded to graduate students, entering or continuing, in the Graduate Program in Biology whose research specializes in molecular biology or genetics and who have demonstrated participation in academic activities related to molecular biology or genetics, including a high level of achievement in graduate courses, good communication skills through participation in teaching and in the presentation of seminars and research papers and submitted essays. Applicants must be Canadian citizens, permanent residents or protected persons, Ontario residents*, and demonstrate financial need.
Value and Duration
- One award up to $12,500
- The value and number of award(s) in any given year will depend on the rate of distribution from the endowment fund and the number of recipients selected
- Full-time registered Master’s or doctoral York student;
- Incoming or current student;
- Canadian citizens, permanent residents and/or protected persons who are residents of Ontario;
- Selection criteria includes:
- Research in molecular biology or genetics;
- Academic accomplishments;
- Demonstration of communication skills (teaching, presentations, seminars, research papers, and submitted essays);
- Financial need;
- Students must exhibit an outstanding academic record (minimum A- average).
Note: The student must be registered full-time for the upcoming academic year (Fall/Winter).
Award Period (when the award will be paid)
- Upcoming academic year
- Graduate program deadline: Program nomination, with complete documentation, is due to the Scholarship and Awards Coordinator in FGS by April 27. The Faculty of Graduate Studies Awards Committee will review nominees for eligibility.
How to Apply
- Students must be nominated by their graduate program
Graduate Program Responsibility
- The Graduate Program in Biology is encouraged to review all admission applications to the program to identify eligible students for nomination
- Encouraged to use this significant award to help persuade top applicants in ecology within the Graduate Program of Biology to accept an offer of admission from York University
- Meet prior to April 1 to identify the nominee for the following academic year
- students cannot apply directly to FGS. They must be nominated by their Graduate Program
- Nominate a maximum of one file to FGS
- Statement of research
- Transcripts, unofficial or official, (supplied by graduate program from admissions file), or can be a student copy downloaded from the student account. Must include the last two years or all years of graduate studies
- Completed online Student Financial Profile
- Letter of nomination (supplied by graduate program director)
- Please contact the Graduate Program in Biology: