To support United Way Toronto & York Region’s Building Strong Neighbourhoods Strategy. Specific work will include The Research, Public Policy and Evaluation team is part of the Strategic Initiatives and Public Affairs Department at United Way Toronto & York Region. It works collaboratively on cross-organizational strategy development and implementation and informs decision making for the whole organization.
The Strategic Initiatives and Public Affairs Department plays a key role developing and stewarding United Way’s community impact and social change story. It is also central in strategic plan development and implementation, helping the organization continually understand its operating environment, and to make more informed choices about where and how to allocate its resources.
Research is a critical part of the Strategic Initiatives and Public Affairs Department’s work. The research conducted by UWTYR over the last 12 years has distinguished it from other United Ways, as well as from other funders, and has made a valuable contribution to the civic conversation. United Way Toronto & York Region is recognized by donors, advocates, member agencies, government and other stakeholders as a robust and trusted source of social trend and community analysis that offers a whole picture of what is happening in our city.
Place of work: United Way Toronto & York Region, 26 Wellington Street East, 12th Floor
Value and Duration
- $21.00 per hour, 35 hours per week;
- 14 to 16 weeks from May to August (to be negotiated).
- Minimum of one year of social science research experience;
- Demonstrated ability to implement research and/or evaluation projects;
- Demonstrated ability to apply qualitative and/or quantitative research methods;
- Demonstrated ability to perform simple statistical analyses;
- Experience in public policy analysis;
- Experience in strategic planning and implementation;
- Strong analytical, writing and communication skills;
- Strong teamwork skills;
- Demonstrated self-starter, highly organized with a keen attention to detail;
- Ability to work on multiple issues and meet deadlines;
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel;
- Some experience using SPSS and Geographic Information Systems software is an asset;
- Knowledge of current social, economic and policy research and public policy issues affecting the community services sector with a preference for expertise in youth, neighbourhood revitalization and/or community infrastructure is an asset.
- Conducting research;
- Assists in the design of research and evaluation project proposals and work plans for projects undertaken by United Way;
- Coordinates and/or carries out social, policy and product research and evaluation projects, including information gathering, environmental scans, analysis and report writing;
- Performs simple statistical analysis;
- Monitors major research activities, public policy developments and evaluation practices relevant to United Way.
- Community and stakeholder engagement;
- Assists in the preparation of background reports and briefing notes on selected studies, reports, articles and policy developments;
- Assists in the preparation of speaking notes and presentation material on the social and policy content of speeches;
- Assists in the preparation of briefing material for senior management on research findings and their policy implications, on evaluation findings and the project management implications, and on legislative changes, government programs and public policy issues at all levels of government.
- Assists in identifying and working with key partners to advance the organization’s research and public policy agenda;
- Helps to create forums for dialogue with government, funders, agencies and donors on topics impacting the human services sector and our strategic priorities.