In recognition of the importance of graduate student mental health and wellness and the connection between well-being and academic achievement, the Faculty of Graduate Studies has developed the Graduate Student Wellness Initiative Fund to subsidize the costs to develop or implement initiatives related to the promotion, awareness, or enhancement of mental health and well-being for the graduate student community at York University.
Value and Duration
- Students and student groups can apply for up to $1,500 to support the undertaking of projects, initiatives, resource development, events, or programs related to graduate student wellness. Allocation amounts may vary based upon the amount of applications in any given application cycle and the project/initiative type
- Successful applications may be allocated a portion rather than the total amount of costs. Students are expected to use the most economical option available and are encouraged to seek additional sources of funding where necessary
- The maximum number of allocations provided in a given year to any student or group of students (May 1 to April 30) is generally one (1)
Application Criteria and Process
- Submit a completed application form to the Faculty of Graduate Studies
- Attach any relevant documentation
- Applications are reviewed, and allocations determined, by the Faculty of Graduate Studies three times per year
- After adjudication, allocated funds are distributed to the student, student group, or designate identified on the application
- The initiative must run during the current academic year applied for
- The applicant(s) agree to complete a post-initiative feedback questionnaire
- All registered York graduate students or student groups associated with graduate studies
- Supplies needed to support your initiative
- Paying instructors/facilitators for a set number of hours
- Cost associated with space rental
- Promotional material
- Cost of material development
- Equipment rental
- Training materials
- *Other costs will be considered. Please include a description in your application
- Activities/events that have already taken place
- Activities/events that are for the purposes of fundraising for individual or groups of students
Examples of Activities/Initiatives
- Panel discussion
- Promotion campaign
- Guest lecture
- Resource development
- Support group
- Group activity centered around mental health and well-being
The selection committee will take into consideration the following:
- Potential impact of initiative:
- Number of students or graduate community members that could benefit from the initiative
- Length or sustainability of initiative. Is the project a one-time event or does it have the potential to continue to impact the graduate student community? If it is a one-time event, what efforts will be undertaken to enhance the lasting impact of the initiative? (i.e., making a recording of a panel discussion available for future students to view)
- Clear demonstration of positive messaging around mental health and wellness promotion, awareness, and/or enhancement for the graduate student community.
- Does the initiative demonstrate innovation and/or address a specific need around mental health and wellness in a new way?
- Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis. Adjudication will take place three times per academic year (January, May, September). Winter 2021 applications are due on January 29th, 2021.
How to Apply
- Complete the online application here.
- Attach any relevant supporting documentation (must be submitted through the application form)
- A confirmation email will be sent to the applicant to confirm the receipt of the application
- Personal information including student number and graduate program.
- Proposal outlining details for the initiative including a timeline, project plan, recruitment/advertising plan, and detailed budget.
If you have any questions about the application, please contact the Manager, Graduate Student Wellness Services (firstname.lastname@example.org).