— Out of abundance of concern for the health and safety of the graduate student community and in keeping with the Recommendations from Health Canada regarding social distancing, we are temporarily suspending in-person Wellness Consultations. The service continues to be available to gradate students via phone and videoconferencing options. We have also adapted our available hours to respond to the needs of students. Appointments are now available between 8:00am – 6:00pm. Monday-Friday. We are here to support you. All of the regular functions of the Faculty of Graduate Studies are fully operational. Please visit Covid-19-Grad-Update for more details. —
Wellness consultations can provide a starting point for graduate students seeking to enhance their personal mental health or well-being. These sessions are offered by a mental health professional and can address a range of needs or concerns. Sessions are confidential and typically last between 45-60 minutes.
Graduate students can request a wellness consultation for help with:
- Concerns about mental health;
- Balancing life as a graduate student;
- Personal wellness goal setting;
- Transitioning to graduate school;
- Difficulty coping with stress, anxiety, self-doubt, overwhelm or isolation;
- Staying healthy while progressing through one’s degree program;
- Exploring options for mental health and wellness services at York University or in the community;
- Psychoeducation and resources.
Information a student shares during a wellness consultation is confidential within legal limits. Please review our privacy statement (.pdf) for more information.
Booking a Wellness Consultation
- Online: View the appointment calendar and select an available date and time. You will receive a confirmation email once booking is complete. wellnessconsultation.gradstudies.yorku.ca
- Phone: Call the Manager, Graduate Student Wellness Services directly at 416-736-2100 ext. 33379
- Email: Send an email to the Manager, Graduate Student Wellness Services directly at email@example.com
The wellness consultation service is offered as a single-session service. After the initial consultation, it may be determined on a case-by-case basis that additional meetings are required to meet the need of the student.
Accessing the Wellness Consultation Service does not exclude graduate students from utilizing other on campus supports. Graduate students are also welcomed to access counselling services through the Student Counselling & Development office (formerly Personal Counselling Services).
Student Counselling & Development
N110, Bennett Centre for Student Service
All registered part–time and full–time York University graduate students may access the wellness consultation service. Graduate students who are not currently registered active, but are on an approved leave from their studies, may also access the service.
Cancelling/Changing an Appointment
Whenever possible, please keep your appointment as scheduled. If you need to cancel or change your appointment, please notify the Manager, Graduate Student Wellness Services 24 hours in advance of your scheduled appointment. Students who miss multiple appointments, without adequate prior notification, may not be eligible for further services.
Manager, Graduate Student Wellness Services
T (416) 736-2100 Ext. 33379
In Case of Crisis or Need for Urgent Assistance:
- Call 911 if there is immediate risk or danger to yourself or others.
- On campus, contact Security Services at 416-736-5333 or ext. 33333 from a York campus phone. Available 24/7.
- You can go to the nearest hospital or visit your primary care physician. Humber River Hospital is the nearest emergency department to York University's Keele campus.
- On campus, you can go to Student Counselling & Development (SCD) in person for emergency support during regular office hours. SCD is located at N110 Bennett Centre for Student Services.
- Call the Good2Talk confidential helpline for post secondary students. Available 24/7 1-866-925-5454
- The Centre for Sexual Violence Response, Support & Education office, located at 301 York Lanes, is here to support you. They can be reached 24/7 at 416-736-5211