Starting in the Summer 2017, the Faculty of Environmental Studies will be offering a Semester Abroad program of field courses, using its new EcoCampus in Costa Rica and many other locations in the region.
The program emphasizes on experiential education, building on our long-standing relationships with diverse communities and groups in southern Costa Rica, including women’s organizations, agricultural producers and cooperatives, environmental protection and social justice groups and Indigenous communities. Courses will usually take a community-based approach, developing collaborative projects that provide learning opportunities.
Six Courses will be offered through May and June 2017 on:
- Environmental Arts and Food Sovereignty
- Conservation and Development for Sustainability and Well-being
- Globalization and Indigenous Peoples
- Natural History: Political Ecology Encounters and Environmental Education
- Environment and Health: Ecosystem Approaches in the Field
- Protected Area Management
These courses are Open to All York Students (either 3rd/4th year undergrads or all graduate students):
- Each course is worth 3 credits.
- Students may take up the maximum credits allowed by their programs.
- Students can take any course or combination of courses.
- For any one course: CAN$1,000
- For any two courses: CAN$1,900
- For any three courses: CAN$2,700
- For any four courses: CAN$3,400
- For any five courses: CAN$4,000
- For any six courses: CAN$4,500
Course fees include all in-country transportation, room and board, as well as park entrance fees that are part of course programs. Accommodations include a mix of homestays with local families, lodges and hotels. Students are responsible for paying their own airfare** and required travel insurance, as well as any personal expenses.
* All costs are subject to change; course costs do not include regular tuition costs.
** York International provides some funding support for all students taking courses. Come to an Information Session to learn more.
The next Information Session will be held on the following date:
- Thursday, November 10, 12:30-1:30pm, HNES 141.
A Mandatory Session for those intending to come is scheduled for:
- Tuesday, January 24, 12:30-2pm, HNES 141.
Spaces fill up quickly. Interested students are encouraged to register their interest early. The final deadline for registration is March 1st, 2017.
Courses are open to Non-York Students as well. Please visit the Admission and Application Procedures for Visiting Students for information and requirements.
Watch our informational video