James MacNevin and Randy Schmidt, editors at University of British Columbia Press, are holding a book publishing talk at York University on Tuesday, 31 October 2017. A 60-minute presentation will begin at 11:00 am, followed by a question and answer period. It will take place in Room 2027 Ignat Kaneff Building, in Osgoode Hall Law School. All faculty and PhD students are welcome to attend.
The talk will focus on scholarly book publishing in the humanities and social sciences. It will provide an opportunity to learn about the process of publishing with a university press. Topics of discussion include:
- what distinguishes university presses from other publishers;
- finding a publisher for your work;
- how to prepare an attractive prospectus;
- turning your thesis into a book;
- sources of funding;
- e-books and open access;
- what to expect of your publisher and what your publisher will expect of you.