As the Committee of Senate responsible for graduate studies, the council will:
- promote and coordinate graduate studies in the University;
- establish and maintain uniformly high standards of graduate education and graduate student research within the University; these standards to be achieved by the assessment of graduate teaching faculty, curriculum and resources and by the adoption of regulations governing standards of admission, examinations, and degree requirements;
- provide for the discussion and evaluation both of established and proposed programs;
- coordinate planning across FGS and encourage cooperation between units and consultation with interested parties;
- enact such procedures, regulations and policies as are necessary to conduct the affairs of the Faculty.